2012 TRIBECA DRIVE-IN, FAMILY FESTIVAL STREET FAIR, TRIBECA/ESPN SPORTS DAY AND TRIBECA/NYFEST SOCCER DAY ANNOUNCED AS PART OF
11TH ANNUAL TRIBECA FILM FESTIVAL
* * *
Drive-In Events to Feature Jaws, Knuckleball!, and The Goonies, Plus Pitching Clinics with Pro Knuckleballers R.A. Dickey, Tim Wakefield and Jim Bouton, Live Music, Games and a Treasure Hunt
* * *
Tribeca/NYFEST Soccer Day Returns with Celebrity and Industry Participants Representing Film, Television, Music, and Sports to Benefit New York City Youth
[New York, NY – March 22, 2012] – The 2012 Tribeca Film Festival (TFF), presented by Founding Sponsor American Express, today announced the return of its signature free community events: the Tribeca Drive-In (April 19-21), Family Festival Street Fair (April 28), Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day (April 28) and the second annual Tribeca/NYFEST Soccer Day (April 21).
The Festival also announced the three film titles that will be screened at the Tribeca Drive-In, co-sponsored by JetBlue and Time Warner Cable, hosted by Brookfield and supported by the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. TFF’s much-loved outdoor screening series will entertain families and movie lovers of all ages with special screenings of the classic summer thriller Jaws, the swashbuckling adventure-comedy The Goonies, and the premiere of the baseball documentary Knuckleball! Each evening will feature games and activities inspired by the films, including baseball trivia and pitching clinics with pitchers R.A. Dickey of the New York Mets, Tim Wakefield, formerly of the Boston Red Sox, and former New York Yankee Jim Bouton, a treasure hunt, and live music courtesy of the New York Downtown Jazz Festival.
Returning this spring for the second year is the Tribeca/NYFEST Soccer Day, presented in partnership with NYFEST (New York Film & Entertainment Soccer Tournament), an organization co-founded by Sony Pictures Classics executive Dylan Leiner and film director Jeffrey Saunders. The event will feature a five-aside industry soccer tournament where professionals from film, television, music and sports will participate; a celebrity match; a youth soccer showcase with professional coaches and soccer legends for kids of all skill levels; a freestyle juggling clinic with World Juggling Freestyle champion Eli Freeze, and other entertainment and activities throughout the day. Proceeds from the team registration fees will benefit non-profit organizations and charities focused on the betterment of youth in the inner city. Festival-goers, athletes and the general public are invited to participate.
“Since its inception, the Tribeca Film Festival has strived to give back to the neighborhood and the city with free community events for New Yorkers and visitors of all ages,” said Nancy Schafer, Tribeca Film Festival Executive Director. “We are thrilled to continue the tradition with Festival favorites like the Drive-In, Family Festival Street Fair and Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day, and to challenge our industry colleagues, young athletes and soccer fans with the Tribeca/NYFEST Soccer Day tournament.”
Each year, the Festival’s free events bring thousands of people downtown to enjoy top-notch talent and entertainment, while highlighting the restaurants, merchants, schools and community organizations of lower Manhattan. The free events are as follows:
TRIBECA DRIVE-IN OUTDOOR SCREENINGS
Thursday-Saturday, April 19-April 21, 2012
World Financial Center Plaza
Co-sponsored by JetBlue and Time Warner Cable, Hosted by Brookfield, and Supported by the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
The following films will be featured at the Tribeca Drive-In, TFF’s outdoor screening series for film enthusiasts of all ages. The free evening of cinema under the stars is open to the public, and seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Doors open at 6 p.m. The programs will also begin at 6 p.m., with live music at 7 p.m., and screenings starting at dusk (approximately 8:15 p.m.).
Jaws—Thursday, April 19
Steven Spielberg’s classic returns to the big screen! See the movie that thrilled a generation, launched the summer blockbuster and has become one of the most enduring action-suspense films of all time. Come early to celebrate Universal Studios’ 100th Anniversary with trivia contests, live music from local artists and surprise special guests, courtesy of the upcoming New York Downtown Jazz Festival. Later this year, fans can own Jaws for the first time ever on Blu-rayTM featuring an all-new, fully restored and digitally remastered picture from original 35MM film elements. Fans of John Williams’ iconic score will also love the Blu-ray’sTM Dolby surround 7.1 sound which optimizes the film for the home screening environment.
With the summer beach season in full swing, a bloodthirsty great white shark begins terrorizing the small island community of Amity. A police chief, a marine biologist, and a grizzled sailor set out to hunt it down… but they’re going to need a bigger boat. Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss, and Robert Shaw lead the cast of this groundbreaking Academy Award®-winning thriller. Directed by Steven Spielberg.
The Goonies—Friday, April 20
Relive the adventure with Mikey, Mouth, Stef, Data, Chunk, and all the unforgettable characters in this beloved classic. Come early to take part in the "truffle shuffle" contest and win prizes in the first-ever Tribeca Treasure Hunt. Live music from afro-jazz pioneers NOMO, courtesy of the upcoming New York Downtown Jazz Festival.
When their Oregon neighborhood—affectionately dubbed “the Goon Docks”—is threatened by real estate developers, a group of pre-teen friends needs to find enough money to halt the demolition. Lucky for them, they’ve discovered an old treasure map, sparking an adventure to unearth the long-lost fortune of 17th-century pirate One-Eyed Willie. Sean Astin, Corey Feldman, Martha Plimpton, Josh Brolin, and Joe Pantoliano star in the movie that captured a generation’s imagination. Directed by Richard Donner.
Knuckleball!—Saturday, April 21
Take me out to the ball game! Bring the kids early for live music, giveaways, baseball trivia contests and pitching clinics with pro knuckleballers R.A. Dickey of the New York Mets, Tim Wakefield formerly of the Boston Red Sox, and former New York Yankee Jim Bouton, then see the world premiere of this action-packed TFF documentary about their controversial pitching style.
This classic sports story recounts the trials and triumphs of two of the best known knuckleball pitchers in the MLB: Tim Wakefield, a Red Sox veteran who recently announced his retirement after 19 years, and R.A. Dickey, an up-and-comer with the Mets looking to make a name for himself. This energetic documentary from Ricki Stern and Annie Sundberg, the directors of Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work, deconstructs the controversial and erratic knuckleball style. – World Premiere, Documentary.
TRIBECA/NYFEST SOCCER DAY
Saturday, April 21
9 a.m.-6 p.m.
Hudson River Park’s Pier 40, 353 West Street (at Houston Street)
Presented in partnership with NYFEST, co-founded by Sony Pictures Classics executive Dylan Leiner and film director Jeffrey Saunders
All ages and skill levels are welcome to “kick it” at Tribeca with the second annual Tribeca/NYFEST Soccer Day, which brings together celebrities, film and media professionals, and New York youth for a day filled with athleticism, learning and fun. The Tribeca/NYFEST Soccer Day will take place on Pier 40 in Lower Manhattan. The day will include an industry soccer tournament, a celebrity soccer match, and a youth soccer showcase, including soccer clinics for NYC youth, skill demonstrations and workshops.
Over 300 participants, including noted actors and musicians, former US National Soccer Team players Claudio Reyna, Richie Williams, Eddie Lewis, Chris Armas, Brian McBride, Jeff Agoos and Tony Sanneh, and Ndamukong Suh (Detroit Lions, NFL) are expected to participate along with teams representing Sony Pictures Classics, Focus Features, Filmnation, ATO, Oscilloscope, Paradigm, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Deluxe, Fotokem, Law & Order SVU, CBS Sports.com, Visit Films, Black Bear Pictures, Phase 4, law firm CDAS, and Goldcrest Films, and additional participants from companies including Naked Edge Films, Tribal Brands, White & Case, mTuckmanMedia (MTM), Gathr, CinemaCapital and Tribeca Enterprises. Proceeds from team registration fees for the event will benefit the Claudio Reyna Foundation and City Soccer in the Community, non-profit organizations focused on the betterment of youth in the inner city. Open to the public, the event will have food and drinks available for purchase onsite, and will include activities for all ages throughout the day. A full list of participants and scheduled events will be announced in the coming weeks. Continue to visit www.tribecafilm.com/soccerday for more information.
TRIBECA FAMILY FESTIVAL STREET FAIR
Saturday, April 28
10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Greenwich Street (between Chambers Street and Hubert Street)
The Tribeca Family Festival, presented by Founding Sponsor American Express, will feature the annual Street Fair on Saturday, April 28, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., on Greenwich Street from Chambers Street to Hubert Street, and at venues throughout the Tribeca neighborhood. The fair, a Festival favorite that drew more than 300,000 people last year, is free and open to the public, and promises to be a day of family fun and lively entertainment.
Throughout the Street Fair will be talented performers, dancers, stilt walkers, Broadway performances, arts and crafts, face painters, puppet shows, music, games and much more. Students from dozens of local schools will also be at the fair with performances and vibrant student artwork. The Street Fair will host restaurants, merchants and organizations from the Tribeca neighborhood.
Street Fair highlights include:
- Cast members from Ghost The Musical, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Sister Act The Musical, Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark, Traces, Million Dollar Quartet, Memphis, Rock of Ages, WICKED and other Broadway and Off-Broadway shows are scheduled to take center stage at the outdoor Festival Main stage.
- The New York Philharmonic’s Credit Suisse Very Young Composers will present original works created by young musicians and brought to life by a chamber ensemble from the esteemed orchestra.
- Exciting performances and unique acts from the talented “The Acrobats of Cirque-tacular” group will delight audiences with aerial performances, acrobats, contortionists and more.
- WonderSpark Puppets will engage the imagination of kids and adults with delightful puppet shows and playful stories.
- CHESS NYC, the largest community of chess players in NYC, will bring out a life-sized chess board and smaller game boards for kids to challenge themselves, their parents and the CHESS NYC Pros.
- Families will enjoy the popular Kite Garden, where kids can make and fly their own kites, while youngsters can create gigantic bubbles in the Bubble Garden.
- A special free screening of a classic family film will be presented at BMCC’s Tribeca Performing Arts Center Theater.
- Additional featured talent includes Ronnie Asbell’s Puppetronics, a hands-on traveling exhibition of life-sized marionettes; Rock-A-Baby music workshops; Mohammed Saeed Harib’s FREEJ FOLKLOREproject screening, and more.
- Come join the award-winning ScrapKins® team to recycle junk into art! Kids create fantastic custom creatures they imagine from recycled materials.
· 60 Hudson Street will host arts & crafts pavilions with a featured art contest for local students. Selected pieces of art will be showcased in the building windows on West Broadway.
- Games, prizes, music and fun will also be supported by Lite FM, New York Times, Radio Disney AM 1560 New York, Time Out New York, vitaminwater® and more.
More details and a map of events will be available in the coming weeks at www.tribecafilm.com/family.
TRIBECA/ESPN SPORTS DAY
Saturday, April 28
10 a.m.-6 p.m.
N. Moore Street (between Greenwich Street and West Street)
Sponsored by Time Warner Cable
A perennial favorite of the Family Festival Street Fair, Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day will take place on Saturday, April 28, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., on N. Moore Street (between Greenwich Street and West Street). Now in its sixth year, Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day gives sports fans the opportunity to engage in a variety of free, sports-related activities that will include games, demonstrations and prize giveaways. In addition, some of New York’s most popular athletes, mascots and sports personalities will make guest appearances throughout the day.
Highlights of Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day include:
- Fans will enjoy activities with their favorite teams, including the New York Knicks and WNBA New York Liberty. The New York Knicks will have a Sport Court on the street with a live DJ. Legendary New York Knicks star, John Starks, and former NY Liberty star, Kym Hampton, will be on hand for the day’s festivities.
- ESPN New York will be on hand giving fans the chance to take home great memorabilia and get their picture taken behind the SportsCenter Desk.
- espnW will offer great giveaways and an opportunity to learn about the power of Title IX.
- “Wheels of Freestyle” BMX Stunt Show will return with exciting aerial BMX stunts and tricks.
- The New York Jets will participate with an element from their family-friendly Jets Fest.
- Olympians and athletes from the Fencers Club will demonstrate the fast-paced sport of fencing and kids will be invited to participate in fencing activities.
- The Downtown Giants Youth Football organization will offer football instruction and fun activities.
- Cricket will make its debut at Sports Day with cricket demonstrations presented bywww.newyorkcricket.com.
- Meet and interact with the female athletes from the New Jersey Titans football organization as they bring football drills and activities to the event.
- BumbleBee Tennis will engage kids and the public with exciting drill-rally activities and fun games.
- New York Women’s Baseball will run pitching and throwing clinics.
- The National Hockey League Foundation will offer great giveaways throughout the day.
- The exciting Harlem Wizards players will be on the street, performing tricks and wowing fans with their basketball skills.
- American Youth Table Tennis Organization will offer challenging table tennis games and activities.
- The National Lacrosse League will bring a fun, inflatable lacrosse activity.
- The always popular Mr. Met will be on site to sign autographs and take pictures with fans.
- Swing by to see the Staten Island Yankees and their mascot Scooter the Holy Cow.
- Uncle Funkys Boards will be on-hand to provide beginner skateboard lessons and skate demonstrations.
- The American Bocce Club and The United States Bocce Federation will bring the sport of Bocce to festivalgoers of all ages.
Details about Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day will continue to be updated throughout the weeks leading up to the Festival. For the most up-to-date information, visit www.tribecafilm.com/espn.
About the Tribeca Film Festival
The Tribeca Film Festival helps filmmakers reach the broadest possible audience, enabling the international film community and general public to experience the power of cinema and promote New York City as a major filmmaking center. It is well known for being a diverse international film festival that supports emerging and established directors.
Founded by Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal and Craig Hatkoff in 2001 following the attacks on the World Trade Center, to spur the economic and cultural revitalization of the lower Manhattan district through an annual celebration of film, music and culture, the Festival brings the industry and community together around storytelling.
The Tribeca Film Festival has screened more than 1,300 films from more than 80 countries since its first edition in 2002. Since inception, it has attracted an international audience of more than 3.7 million attendees and has generated an estimated $725 million in economic activity for New York City.
About the 2012 Festival Sponsors
As Founding Sponsor of the Tribeca Film Festival, American Express is committed to supporting the Festival and the art of filmmaking, bringing business and energy to New York City and offering Cardmembers and festivalgoers the opportunity to enjoy the best of storytelling through film.
The Tribeca Film Festival is pleased to announce the return of its Signature Sponsors: Accenture, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, Apple, Bloomberg, Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC), Brookfield, Cadillac, Caesars Atlantic City, ESPN, Heineken USA, JetBlue, Lower Manhattan Development Corporation and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Magnum® Ice Cream, NBC 4 New York, NCM Media Networks, New York Nonstop, Stolichnaya Vodka, The New York Times, Time Warner Cable, as well as its Cultural Partner the Doha Film Institute. The Festival is also honored to welcome the following new Signature Sponsors: BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® Gin, Conrad Hotels & Resorts and Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Focus Forward - a partnership between GE and CINELAN, and OppenheimerFunds.
Movie Reviews and News