2014 TRIBECA FILM FESTIVAL ANNOUNCES
WINNERS OF #6SECFILMS COMPETITION
Online voting audience of more than 6,000 selects first-ever Audience Choice Award winner
* * *
NEW YORK (April 15, 2014) – The 13th annual Tribeca Film Festival, presented by AT&T, today announced the winners of the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival #6SecFilms competition. Jurors Jerome Jarre, Tiffany Shlain, Julie Klausner, James Curleigh and Bethann Hardison selected four winners from a shortlist of 40 Vines curated by TFF programmers and narrowed down from a field of 536 total entries from 24 countries to name individual winners in the categories of “drama,” “comedy,” “animation” and “genre.” A fifth winner was selected by an online voting audience of 6,000 in the first-ever #6SecFilms Audience Choice award, powered by Pitch'd, a platform for brands to curate their audience’s videos and photos across social networks by hashtag and facilitate voting to find the most popular.
The winning creators will each receive individual meetings with GrapeStory, the mobile-first marketing agency and production house founded by Gary and AJ Vaynerchuk of VaynerMedia, a social-first digital shop, and Jerome Jarre, #6SecFilms juror and a serial entrepreneur with more than 4.6 million passionate Vine followers.
The winning films, viewable on TribecaFilm.com/6secfilms, follow:
- Animation: Matt Willis, Australia, for “Wrap Dancer” (https://vine.co/v/MAYd1VhQQHO
- Drama: Jessica Harmon, USA, for “Addiction” (https://vine.co/v/Mb3B00tiiEd
- Comedy: Albert Birney, USA, for “Sylvio Let’s Go” (https://vine.co/v/MOeewxJKgin
- Genre: Lawrence Becker, USA, for “The Vortex Finds a Host” (https://vine.co/v/MatD6eVOK2B
- #6SecFilms Audience Award: Evan Hilton, USA, for “Shaking Free” (https://vine.co/v/MqJpVpgelt2
“When we launched the #6SecFilms competition at last year’s TFF, Vine was a brand new and many creators were just beginning to get their hands dirty," said Genna Terranova, TFF’s director of programming. "A year later, there is more mastery of the platform and the increased creativity and quality of stories is apparent.
“The winners of Tribeca's #6SecFilms competition clearly shows how constraints, such as 6-second films, unleash stupendous creativity!” added Tiffany Shlain, TFF juror, filmmaker and founder of the Webby Awards.
The #6SecFilms contest debuted at the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival with more than 400 U.S.-based entries in the categories of animate, genre, auteur and series. The contest’s visibility has helped to develop some of the young app’s current stars.
The five TFF jurors who ultimately selected the winners from a shortlist presented by the TFF programmers come to the Festival from a range of backgrounds, from Vine personalities to brand managers. Their names and bios are below:
· James Curleigh: President of the Levi’s® brand. Responsible for leading the strategic direction and execution of the brand globally with a focus on product creation, marketing concepts, and market solutions. He has more than 20 years of experience building and expanding consumer brands, including KEEN Footwear, Inc. and Salomon Sports North America.
· Bethann Hardison: Noted former model, manager, fashion advocate, and documentarian. During her modeling career she worked with a wide range of designers. She formed Bethann Management Co., Inc. in 1984, and has led the charge for an increase in diversity within the fashion industry through such initiatives as Black Girls Coalition and Balance Diversity.
· Jerome Jarre: Vine personality known for his passionate army of 5 million followers and contributions to The Ellen Degeneres Show. He launched GrapeStory in NYC in May 2013, an agency that pairs the best Viners with innovative Fortune 500 brands to tell powerful and engaging short stories.
· Julie Klausner: Comedy writer, performer, podcaster, and author, whose podcast How Was Your Week was recently called “one of the few essential podcasts” by The New York Times. She is currently a staff writer for the new Fox series, Mulaney. Other writing credits include television shows Billy on the Street and Best Week Ever, the memoir I Don’t Care About Your Band, and the young adult novel, Art Girls Are Easy.
· Tiffany Shlain: Filmmaker and founder of the Webby Awards who was honored by Newsweek as one of the “Women Shaping the 21st Century.” Her films have garnered her numerous awards including a Disruptive Innovation Award from TFF. Credits include her hit film series for AOL Originals’ The Future Starts Here and her newest “cloud” film, The Science of Character.
About the 2014 Festival Sponsors:
As Presenting Sponsor of the Tribeca Film Festival, AT&T is committed to supporting the Festival and the art of filmmaking through access and innovation, aiming to make this the most interactive film festival in the country, where visitors experience the Festival in ways they never imagined.
The Tribeca Film Festival is pleased to announce its Signature Sponsors: Accenture, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, American Express, Bloomberg, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® Gin, Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC), Brookfield, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, ESPN, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Heineken, IWC Schaffhausen, NBC 4 New York, NCM Media Networks, The New York Times, and PepsiCo. The Festival welcomes the following new Signature Sponsors: The Lincoln Motor Company, United Airlines, Santander, and VDKA 6100™
Tickets for the 2014 Festival:
Tickets for the Festival will be $17.00 for evening and weekend screenings, and $9.00 for all late night and weekday matinee screenings.
Advance selection ticket packages and passes are now on sale. All advance selection packages and passes can be purchased online atwww.tribecafilm.com/festival/
tickets, or by telephone at (646) 502-5296 or toll free at (866) 941-FEST (3378).
Single tickets can be purchased online, by telephone, or at one of the Ticket Outlets, with locations at Tribeca Cinemas at 54 Varick Street, Bow Tie Cinemas Chelsea at 260 W. 23rd Street, and AMC Loews Village VII at 66 3rd Avenue. The 2014 Festival will continue offering ticket discounts for evening and weekend screenings for students, seniors and select downtown Manhattan residents. Discounted tickets are available at Ticket Outlet locations only. Additional information and further details on the Festival can be found at www.tribecafilm.com.
Movie Reviews and News